Monday, June 20, 2005

More New Friends in the Big Apple

I am continually amazed at the amount of very intelligent, engaging and fun people I am meeting at TfA. Today I met Kim and Hillary. Kim’s family is Nigerian, and she is from the south. She reminds me very much of Bibi. She has embraced her walk with God and that it is a process and something to be achieved rather than a means to attach people. Hillary is my new nerdy friend. She has a degree in English, reads comic books, and loves liberal rhetoric! She in some ways reminds me of Sarah Feingold, but so much more genuine and real. Sarah, who looks like Jim’s girlfriend, Liz, is amazing too. She is ready to continue challenging herself through book group discussions and sounds like a heck of a lot of fun.

The best thing about these three girls is that they are all of them holders of English degrees. Along with Nate, Dan (a roommate), and Anthony (a newer but still coolish guy), I feel that I have found an awesome support group of people who are not only passionate about being an agent of change in the educational disparity in NYC, but also are passionate about literature and nerdy English stuff.

Today, we observed classes and talked to students, teachers and parents. This was wonderful. To actually be in the classroom with students, interacting and observing was transendent! We learned a little more about what it means to be a TfAer and I have to say that it seems a bit daunting.

The city seems much bigger than I anticipated. Which goes to show that books, movies and TV haven't represented NYC the way it actually is. Well, that is all for now, peace out!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home