Looking Forward to Laundry
There are so many reasons to love my new neighborhood. I am paying less rent, I have a larger apartment, I have access to three trains... But the best reason there has been so far is laundry on Sunday. Weird, I know. This normally annoying chore, has been livened up with some special little friends I have made. FIrst, there is Luis. He is nine years old, and deaf. Finally, I have someone to practice ASL with! Saying this child is high in spirit is an understatement. The funny thing about our first interaction is that his mother only speaks Spanish. Danielle would speak to the mom in Spanish. I would speak to Danielle in English. I would sign with Luis and whatever I didn't know, the mom would tell to Danielle in Spanish, which she would translate into English. (Follow that?) The other great part of laundry is Taylour and his family. This little one is five years old. I help him with homework, and give him some ASL vocabulary. His mom and grandmother are the nicest people, ever. The other week, Caroline (Taylour's mother) told me that if I ever need to do laundry but have no money, I should come anyway because she will take care of me because "Carey, you're my people!" :) The grandmother is really funny. The week before break, she asked me why I never bring hangers. I told her that I always forget. The week I came back, she had a bag of wire hangers and told me, "Happy Christmas."

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home